Trooper struck from behind by suspected drunk driver | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – An Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper sustained minor injuries early Sunday morning after being rear-ended by a suspected drunk driver according to spokesperson Betsy Randolph with the OHP.
Trooper Mystal Perkins, 23, was on duty and in her patrol car at approximately 2:30 a.m. Sunday when it was struck from behind while she sat at a red signal light at SE 29th and Walker.
The suspect, Juan Gonzalez, 26, from Clinton fled from the scene on foot after slamming his 2008 Ford F-150 pickup into the back of the trooper’s Dodge Charger.
The force of the crashed pushed the trooper’s car into a car it was stopped behind at the traffic light.
Troopers pursued the suspect and, after a brief struggle, placed him under arrest.
He was taken by EMSA to a local hospital where he was treated for a minor injury sustained in the crash and then transported to Oklahoma County Jail where he was booked in on charges of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, operating a motor vehicle without a valid driver license, resisting arrest, possession of CDS and leaving the scene of an injury accident.
Trooper Perkins was treated and released from a metro hospital for her injuries and is expected to be back to work within a few days.
Upcoming Events near South Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Organization updating public on funds raised during last May’s tornadoes
- Emergency crews respond to bus accident
- Man charged with sex crimes after game of truth or dare with 2 teenage girls
- Oklahoma resident behind bars after taking advantage of tornado victims’ benefits
- Plaza Towers Memorial: Here’s how you can help
- UPDATE: Police arrest man who turned himself in after killing his wife
- Driver escapes without a scratch after truck vs. train collision in Norman
- Disabled athletes take to the court to raise funds for a local organization
- Major Norman roadways to open soon
- UPDATE: Popular exit back open for commute in Norman
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan
- Eighth suspect arrested in Logan County murder