Invaders tie woman up, rob home | News
OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla.- New developments involving a home invasion near S.E. 71st in Oklahoma City. Police say two men broke into a home and held a woman at gunpoint, while robbing her.
The family was too shaken to go on camera but did describe the terrifying break in and how a simple cell phone possibly saved a life. Neighbors watched as police searched for the suspects through the neighborhood with dogs.
“I’m still shaken up walking here,” said Jessica Maxwell.
A feeling shared by the homeowner. He says two men kicked through the front door in the middle of the day. The invaders tied his aunt’s hands and put a towel over her head while they robbed the house.
“It’s scary for some people because they don’t know why was it them,” said Victor Hernandez. “They weren’t expecting it.”
The homeowner wasn’t expecting it either. He says he came home because he forgot his cell phone. He walked in to see one of the men pointing a gun at him.
“He saw the gun and he went back out the door because he was threatened also,” said Lt. Jeff Lathan.
When he ran to call police, the thieves ran.
“He didn’t confront them, and that’s a good thing to do,” said Lt. Lathan. “It’s never a good idea for a citizen to confront an armed person like that. It’s best just to get out of the way.”
With two schools just blocks away, police had to make sure the children were safe. Maxwell’s three children were on lockdown at Hayes Elementary.
“I’m just afraid they’ll go into the school and try to take kids hostage,” said Maxwell.
The schools were released after police searched the area. As for the homeowner, he’s left wondering, what if he didn’t come back for his phone.
Police say if you know anything about this home invasion, call them immediately.
Upcoming Events near South Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Organization updating public on funds raised during last May’s tornadoes
- Emergency crews respond to bus accident
- Man charged with sex crimes after game of truth or dare with 2 teenage girls
- Oklahoma resident behind bars after taking advantage of tornado victims’ benefits
- Plaza Towers Memorial: Here’s how you can help
- UPDATE: Police arrest man who turned himself in after killing his wife
- Driver escapes without a scratch after truck vs. train collision in Norman
- Disabled athletes take to the court to raise funds for a local organization
- Major Norman roadways to open soon
- UPDATE: Popular exit back open for commute in Norman
- UPDATE: Everyone accounted for following massive house fire, investigation continues
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan