Armed thief and victim wrestle over gun during robbery | News
OKLAHOMA CITY — An Oklahoma City man survives a scary overnight robbery. The victim literally stared down the barrel of a shotgun and survived to tell the tale.
Filling up his truck at a gas station on south Robinson, an armed thief stuck a gun in Ernesto Castillo’s face.
“He told me if I don’t give him money, he will kill me,” said Castillo.
“When he found out the victim didn’t have any money, he got very upset started punching the victim,” said Oklahoma City police Sgt. Jennifer Wardlow.
After the assault the suspect forced Castillo to drive a short distance to an alleyway off S.W. 43rd.
When the suspect, Anthony Molina, momentarily put the gun down to search the victim’s truck, Castillo grabbed the gun but admits to being too scared to the pull the trigger.
“I tell him just let me go. I don’t want to fight. I don’t want anything. Just let me go,” said Castillo.
According to police reports, Molina told Castillo, “You ain’t gonna do nothing, just give me the gun back,” and a wrestling match ensued.
“He was too close to me and we started pulling and fighting for the gun,” said Castillo.
Fortunately, a driver noticed the holdup and called 911. When police arrived they found the suspect still holding the shotgun.
“Any time you bring a weapon and it’s exchanging hands going back and forth, we’re lucky no one was seriously injured,” said Wardlow.
Castillo says Molina then begged forgiveness before being taken to jail.
“He started crying and he tell me, ‘I’m sorry. When you go to sleep, pray for me,’” recalled Castillo.
The suspect remains behind bars in the Oklahoma County jail. He does have previous felony convictions for child abuse and attempted armed robbery.
Upcoming Events near South Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local museum offers a whole week of activities for spring break
- University of Oklahoma to offer FREE course on the Chemistry of Beer
- UPDATE: Alabama mom identified, second video surfaces
- OKC Man charged with molesting a 13-year old girl
- Oklahoma woman gets early Christmas present; tumor free thanks to new treatment at OU Med
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel