UPDATE: Two arrested after allegedly hitting officer with car | Crime
OKLAHOMA CITY – Authorities say they have arrested two people accused of shoplifting and hitting an officer with their car as they fled the scene.
Police said they were chasing a shoplifting suspect at the Wal-Mart near I-240 and Santa Fe when store employees told them about another suspect.
According to police, the officer chased the suspect out of the store just as he was jumping into a getaway car.
Officials said that driver backed into the policeman, hitting him in the leg and then sped off.
Authorities have arrested 47-year-old Michael Joseph Burke for assault with a dangerous weapon and larceny of merchandise.
Police have also arrested 51-year-old David Edward Smith for assault with a dangerous weapon.
The officer is expected to make a full recovery.
Upcoming Events near South Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Where to celebrate St. Patty’s day in OKC
- Expect full flights and packed airports next week
- I-40 closing for “roadway testing” between Choctaw Rd. & Pott. County line this afternoon
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff