UPDATE: Two arrested after allegedly hitting officer with car | Crime
OKLAHOMA CITY – Authorities say they have arrested two people accused of shoplifting and hitting an officer with their car as they fled the scene.
Police said they were chasing a shoplifting suspect at the Wal-Mart near I-240 and Santa Fe when store employees told them about another suspect.
According to police, the officer chased the suspect out of the store just as he was jumping into a getaway car.
Officials said that driver backed into the policeman, hitting him in the leg and then sped off.
Authorities have arrested 47-year-old Michael Joseph Burke for assault with a dangerous weapon and larceny of merchandise.
Police have also arrested 51-year-old David Edward Smith for assault with a dangerous weapon.
The officer is expected to make a full recovery.
Upcoming Events near South Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man charged with sex crimes after game of truth or dare with 2 teenage girls
- Oklahoma resident behind bars after taking advantage of tornado victims’ benefits
- Plaza Towers Memorial: Here’s how you can help
- Storm survivors slam teen for FEMA fraud
- Oklahoma man takes advantage of FEMA, sentenced to prison
- Heading downtown? Multiple road closures could disturb your commute
- Lanes back open after car rolls near I-240 and I-40 bridge, injuries unknown
- Residents ticketed for parking on their own property
- Pet saves family in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- ‘It’s a perfect storm;’ What homeowners can do about higher property taxes