UPDATE: Two arrested after allegedly hitting officer with car | Crime
OKLAHOMA CITY – Authorities say they have arrested two people accused of shoplifting and hitting an officer with their car as they fled the scene.
Police said they were chasing a shoplifting suspect at the Wal-Mart near I-240 and Santa Fe when store employees told them about another suspect.
According to police, the officer chased the suspect out of the store just as he was jumping into a getaway car.
Officials said that driver backed into the policeman, hitting him in the leg and then sped off.
Authorities have arrested 47-year-old Michael Joseph Burke for assault with a dangerous weapon and larceny of merchandise.
Police have also arrested 51-year-old David Edward Smith for assault with a dangerous weapon.
The officer is expected to make a full recovery.
Upcoming Events near South Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Organization updating public on funds raised during last May’s tornadoes
- Emergency crews respond to bus accident
- Man charged with sex crimes after game of truth or dare with 2 teenage girls
- Oklahoma resident behind bars after taking advantage of tornado victims’ benefits
- Plaza Towers Memorial: Here’s how you can help
- UPDATE: Police arrest man who turned himself in after killing his wife
- Driver escapes without a scratch after truck vs. train collision in Norman
- Disabled athletes take to the court to raise funds for a local organization
- Major Norman roadways to open soon
- UPDATE: Popular exit back open for commute in Norman
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan
- Eighth suspect arrested in Logan County murder
- 6-year-old killed after fire destroys grandparents’ home in southwest Oklahoma City
- Officials investigating if teen boy really did ride to Hawaii in plane’s landing gear
- Car slams into Oklahoma City school bus, no one seriously injured