UPDATE: Two arrested after allegedly hitting officer with car | Crime
OKLAHOMA CITY – Authorities say they have arrested two people accused of shoplifting and hitting an officer with their car as they fled the scene.
Police said they were chasing a shoplifting suspect at the Wal-Mart near I-240 and Santa Fe when store employees told them about another suspect.
According to police, the officer chased the suspect out of the store just as he was jumping into a getaway car.
Officials said that driver backed into the policeman, hitting him in the leg and then sped off.
Authorities have arrested 47-year-old Michael Joseph Burke for assault with a dangerous weapon and larceny of merchandise.
Police have also arrested 51-year-old David Edward Smith for assault with a dangerous weapon.
The officer is expected to make a full recovery.
Upcoming Events near South Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- OKC school teacher accused of sexual misconduct by multiple students
- Metro school bus drivers still concerned about icy bus routes
- Chocolate Lab survives being trapped in frozen pond for nearly two hours in Oklahoma City
- UPDATE: Firefighters battle SW OKC house fire
- Six month later, Moore family still battling with insurance company
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes