Less fortunate get FREE turkeys | News
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Hundreds of Oklahoma families will have a brighter Thanksgiving thanks to the Salvation Army. Tuesday morning, several hundred of the city's less fortunate lined up for a free holiday basket, complete with turkey and all the fixings. Recipient Wanda Morgan said, " It means a lot. It helps me and my handicapped sister out a lot. The Salvation Army has been a huge blessing to us." Cargill Meat Solutions donated many of the turkey products passed out to the needy.
The Pet Food pantry Of Oklahoma City even donated treats for the pets.
"Many times senior citizens share food with their pets, thus taking from their own plates so their pets can eat," said Salvation Army Director of Social Services, Ashley Jones.
While the Salvation Army would like to fill every request, organizers say the need is simply too great this year.
Sadly, they've been forced to reject about 30 percent of the requests for assistance.
Upcoming Events near South Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Organization updating public on funds raised during last May’s tornadoes
- Emergency crews respond to bus accident
- Man charged with sex crimes after game of truth or dare with 2 teenage girls
- Oklahoma resident behind bars after taking advantage of tornado victims’ benefits
- Plaza Towers Memorial: Here’s how you can help
- UPDATE: Police arrest man who turned himself in after killing his wife
- Driver escapes without a scratch after truck vs. train collision in Norman
- Disabled athletes take to the court to raise funds for a local organization
- Major Norman roadways to open soon
- UPDATE: Popular exit back open for commute in Norman
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan
- Eighth suspect arrested in Logan County murder
- 6-year-old killed after fire destroys grandparents’ home in southwest Oklahoma City
- Officials investigating if teen boy really did ride to Hawaii in plane’s landing gear
- Car slams into Oklahoma City school bus, no one seriously injured